Brahma chickens are among the hardiest birds found in farms. Find out some interesting facts about these lbirds on our post below.
- Brahma chickens are among the largest breeds of chicken on the planet.
Brahma chickens have large bodies and weigh an average of 4.5 kilograms (hens) to 5.5 kilograms (cocks).
- Brahma chickens are quite friendly.
Brahma chickens are known for their gentle temperament. They are calm and docile and can easily be handled by humans. They are quiet and tolerant of other breeds too.
- Brahma chickens actually come from Asia.
Brahma chickens originally came from cross breeding with Chittagong breeds from Shanghai, China. They became very popular in the US starting in the 1850s and are now widely found in many US farms that raise them for both meat and egg production.
- Brahma chickens can survive winter.
These all-weather chickens have thick plumage that makes them capable of withstanding nippy winter weather and prolonged periods out in the cold.
- Brahma chickens come in a variety of colors, including blue.
While white and black colors of this chicken are common, they can also be found in blue, gold, and buff.